The National Reference Group supports the financial literacy team at ASIC to ensure that the needs of the different states and territories are being addressed.
The key objectives of the Group are to:
- ensure that jurisdictional/sector perspectives and positions are taken into account in ASIC’s consumer and financial literacy education forward planning, projects and activities
- facilitate communication and consultation between ASIC and national and state school education jurisdictions and sectors on consumer and financial literacy policy and associated activities
- advise on strategies to ensure appropriate inclusion of consumer and financial literacy in school programs, including through integration in the Australian Curriculum
The National Reference Group comprises:
- one representative from each state and territory government education department
- one representative each from the National Catholic Education Commission (NCEC) and Independent Schools Australia (ISCA)
- one representative from the Australian Government Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR)
- two representatives from a state consumer affairs department, as agreed through the Standing Committee on Consumer Affairs
The Reference Group is chaired by a representative from ASIC’s Consumer, Advisors and Retail Investors team.